We enter the story of Punta Troia - now Punta Ala -.
In the second half of the 16 th century, the fall of the Sienese Republic, the island of Troy with the rocks nearby, commonly called "the Pigs," passed to the Medici who decided to raise a fortress just in front of Troy island (known today as Tower Balbo) to preserve the land from the incursions of the Saracens.
Over the centuries, this strip of land often changed ownership. It was gradually reclaimed making possible the cultivation and then the gradual peopling.
Once malaria was defeated, life in Tuscany became not only possible but, thanks to its glorious landscape, mild climate, and clarity of the water, pleasant. Agriculture was profitable for the fertility thanks to the reclaimed land.
In the early 1900s the farm of Count Ludovico Rosselmini spreading from Scarlino to Pian d'Alma, to Gualdo, Poggio Tre Pini, to the peak, including the Castle, assured, thanks to the variety of cultivations, products in each season of the year. The reclaimed marshland were sown with wheat. The woods gave without ever running out, wood, cork and coal. The cattle thrived selected cows and horses, in high demand and well paid.
By the will of the Rosselminis, to their disappearance, the charitable institution Cottolengo became owner of all property, including Gualdo and Punta Troia.
In the mid-twenties, the events of these lands mingled with those of a well known personage: Italo Balbo.
In Orbetello he had the training ground and departure of the fleet of hydroplanes, which in 1931 undertook the first successful flight across the Atlantic: a mission which was then seemingly impossible.
Balbo flew often over the Tyrrhenian coast, and more and more fascinated by the bright green cape spreading out into the sea, decided to buy it.
The promontory deserved a real name other than the not much poetic Punta Troia (Troy Cape). It was called Punta Ala (Wing Cape) because by the plane that strip of land seemed like the wing of a gull. The nearby islet Troia Vecchia (Troy Old), became Lo Sparviero (the Sparrow-hawk) while the nearby rocks maintained their name, i Porcellini (the Piglets). Legend says that the name is due to a wild boar, to escape the hunters, ended up in the sea followed by its piglets.
At the end of the war the Balbo estate was confiscated by the Italian State because it was considered "profit of the regime". After many legal tribulations,once the property had been recovered, the Balbo heirs, after deep reconsiderations and a bit of sadness, decided to sell it. In the contract dated 8th August, 1959 the Balbo heirs sold the ground situated on Punta Ala promontory to Costantino Lentati for 390 million Liras. Since then the Pesenti group started the building of the actual tourist complex. We appreciate the fact that they didn't modify much the original aspect of the land which, still today, keeps its old charm untouched.
All the rest is recent history. Punta Ala is one of the most successful tourist settlement of the afterwar period. It fits with discretion in the vast pinewood offering the visitors its clean paths, its meadows, its well-tended flowerbeds and its rich gardens. A very important tourist facility is the harbour (900 boat berths) where it is possible to hire sailing boats, motorboats, yachts with or without skipper.
The golf course is one of the biggest in Europe and it is seat of international golf competitions.